Length: 2 Days
Time: 9am - 4pm
Free Retakes: 8 Months
Unavailable: Adobe InDesign CS5.5 Level 1:*Accelerated Pace* Current InDesign Users or Former Quark Users
Adobe InDesign CS5 Level 1: *Accelerated Pace* for Current InDesign Users class is for students who have a solid knowledge of core InDesign concepts and are making the jump to InDesign CS5. Basic publishing concepts are not covered and, when applicable, comparisons of InDesign to QuarkXPress are made.
Bridge & the InDesign Interface
- Using Bridge to open, organize and find your files
- Using the metadata functions from Bridge to recognize fonts, colors and other data about your files before they are opened
- Working with the new CS5 panels and interface
- Saving a workspace
- Setting up page size, margins, columns, bleeds etc. for a new document then saving as a document preset.
- Using the pages panel to add, move pages and more
- Understanding targeting a page vs. selecting a page
- Using Guides, Margins and Columns and modifying document setup
- Navigating a document, zooming in and out, using the page grabber hand.
- Rotating a spread temporarily to edit
Objects & Drawing
- Drawing paths, objects and work with strokes and fills.
- Drawing and manipulating the 3 types of frames.
- Using any object as a frame, including basic or hand drawn shapes and converted text.
- Selecting multiple objects using the marquee select, select all and shift select.
- Using transform panel to scale, rotate and modify objects.
- Drawing frames & changing line color, style and width of strokes.
- Working with text frame options for text frames
- Using the NEW Smart Guides to quickly align, space and resize objects with these dynamic guides.
Text: Place and Format
- Creating Text frames
- Using automatic, semi-automatic and manual text placement.
- Linking and unlinking text from one text frame to another on the same page or another page.
- Character Formats: Applying fonts, changing size, kerning & tracking
- Using the control panel, info panel and shortcuts
- Paragraph Formats: Indenting paragraphs, adjusting the space before or after the paragraphs and add drop caps.
- Paragraph vs. single –line composer, keeping settings and justification
- Applying paragraph rules above and below a paragraph and change offset values.
- Using tabs to align a column of text or figures.
- Using Find and Change to replace text
- Using the Eyedropper tool to pick up formatting from one object to apply to another
Spell Check & Special Characters
- Inserting special characters, glyphs and break characters
- Replacing Fonts document wide
Graphics: place, modify, wrap text, and clipping paths
- Placing pictures and graphics such as EPS, PCT, TIFF, AI, PDF and PSD.
- Using the fitting commands to change size of a graphic relative to its’ frame.
- Changing the size of frames and graphics.
- Using the selection tools to select the frame or the graphic
- Using the new target selection to move graphics within a picture box
- Dropping out a background of a photo with a Clipping Path
- Applying text wrap to run text around a graphic
- Changing the outset, and the shape of the wrap
- Understanding the difference between Runaround in Quark and Text Wrap in InDesign
- Using the Links Panel to keep track of graphics: Editing original, updating and relinking graphics
Color, Gradients and Transparency
- Creating new Process, Spot & Pantone colors using the Swatches panel and creating Tints.
- Creating Gradients to be applied to fills, strokes and text.
- Applying swatches to fills, strokes and text
- Using the Gradient Tool to adjust the angle of a linear gradient or the center point of a radial gradient.
- Applying Transparency to objects.
- Applying Drop Shadow to text or an object
- Understanding how to use transparency settings effectively, considerations for pre-press
- Understanding Paragraph and Character Styles and why they are so important to constructing a document
- Creating and applying paragraph styles to paragraphs of text
- Creating character styles and applying to words or phrases within a paragraph
- Changing the attributes of a style
- Redefining a style from document text
- Overview of Nested Styles
- Creating a basic table, typing text directly into the cells
- Converting placed text to a table
- Basic formatting of text and cells
- Fill, Stroke and custom formatting of a table
- Modifying the default master page, adding new masters
- Creating a "based on" Master
- Creating automatic page numbering
- Applying a master to a page or range of pages.
- Creating and removing local overrides
Export and Print
- Saving an InDesign file (.indd) and InDesign Template (.indt)
- Understanding the benefit for saving a file as an InDesign Markup (.idml)
- Creating Adobe PDF files: Exporting to PDF, setting preferences and creating PDF Export presets
- Using the Live Preflight as you create your document
- Printing & Output Options
- Transparency Flattener settings and tips
- Saving as a PDF or SWF for a presentation
- Applying object transitions and saving page as an interactive PDF with no coding
- Saving InDesign for Flash as a .fla or .swf format