Length: 3 Days
Time: 9am - 4pm
Free Retakes: 8 Months
Prior programming experience and a basic understanding of HTML and CSS. Previously taken jQuery helpful.
What is Programming or Scripting?
- I'm a designer...why learn about programming?
- How understanding programming can be helpful
- What are my options?
- What languages are used?
- Which should I learn?
- What tools do I use to create/write these languages?
- What does it cost and where does it go?
Getting started programming
- Basic HTML (HyperText Markup Language) and how it translates to the web
- Learn to read and understand simple code
- How Dreamweaver and other apps generate HTML
- Working with HTML markup tags
- What is a statement?
- Anatomy of a statement
- Commenting your code
- Creating variables to store program information
- Naming conventions
- Types of data
- Associative Arrays
- Manipulating data with operations
- Conditional statements and loops
- If, if-else and else-if statements
- Switch statements
- For loops
- while loops
- do while loops
- Creating reusable code with functions
- returning data
- Creating complex structures as Objects
Working with the HTML document
- Understanding the DOM (document object model)
- How the DOM is language-independent and can interact with other documents
- Retrieving the page element you want
- Changing HTML tag attributes
Working with events
- Event Handlers that trigger actions
- Event Listeners
- Browser inconstencies
- Starting, stopping and timing animations
- Creating linear animations
- Adding easing for more natural movement
Enhancing forms with scripting
- Form validation
- Making fields required
- Using Regular Expressions
- Custom Controls