Length: 2 Days
Time: 9am - 4pm
Free Retakes: 8 Months
Adobe InDesign Level 1:*Accelerated Pace*
This accelerated pace InDesign Part 1 class is for previous desktop publishing/page layout users who have some knowledge of basic InDesign concepts and are making the jump to InDesign CC. We will create a newsletter in class, complete with threaded text frames, photos with text wrap, text with paragraph and character styles, master pages with page numbers and many more features. This class is taught at a faster pace than the Level 1. Many of the same concepts are covered, but with a little more in depth information and a wider range of topics. Please contact us if you are unsure which class is right for you.
InDesign CC Level 1: Accelerated Pace
This Accelerated Pace InDesign Level 1 class is only offered upon request for groups of three (3) or more individuals from the same company. The Accelerated Pace is intended for those individuals with previous desktop publishing/page layout experience who have some knowledge of basic InDesign concepts and are making the jump to InDesign CC. It moves at a faster pace than our InDesign Level 1 class.
- Work with the new CC panels and interface. Save a workspace.
- Work with the NEW User Interface of InDesign. Control the lightness of the UI.
- Set Preferences for an active document or the program defaults.
- Understand Adobe Creative Cloud.
Document Creation & Modification
- Overview of toolbox, panels, page navigation and online help.
- Create a new document. Save the new document settings.
- Create a new document and save the new document settings. Learn the differences of the new “Intent” for Print, Web or Digital Publishing. Level 1 class focus will be for Print.
- Navigate around a document, zoom in and out, use the page grabber hand.
- Setting up page size, margins, columns, and bleeds for a new document.
- Using the pages panel to add, move, and delete pages and more.
- Use the control panel, info panel and shortcuts.
Objects, drawing & Selecting
- Draw and manipulate the 3 types of frames.
- Select multiple objects using the marquee select, select all and shift select.
- Draw paths and objects and work with strokes and fills.
- Use transform panel to scale, rotate and modify objects.
- Align and distribute objects. Use the new key object align command.
- Draw frames & change line color, style and width of strokes.
- Text frame options for text frames and other options for graphic frames.
Text: Place and Format
- Create Text frames with single or multiple columns.
- Place text using automatic, semi-automatic and manual text placement.
- Thread and unthread text flow from one text frame to another on the same page or another page.
- Character Formats: Apply fonts, use the new font favorites and search fonts features. Change text size, kerning & tracking etc.
- Use the control panel, and shortcuts for text formatting.
- Paragraph Formats: Indent paragraphs, adjust the space before or after the paragraphs and add drop caps.
- Apply paragraph rules above and below a paragraph and change offset values.
- Paragraph vs. single –line composer, keep settings and justification.
- Work with tabs to align a column of text or figures.
- Create a basic table. Convert text to a table. Basic formatting of text and cells.
- Find and change to replace text, spell check, dynamic spelling.
- Insert Special Characters, symbols, spaces, hyphens etc.
- Place photos and graphics such as TIFF, AI, PDF and PSD.
- Use fitting commands to change size of a graphic relative to its’ frame.
- Change the size of frames and graphics.
- Use the selection tools and the target selection to select the frame or the graphic and easily move graphics within a frame.
- Modify the corners of any graphic frame.
- Apply text wrap to control the way text wraps around a graphic. Change the outset, and the shape.
- Use the NEW Content Collector Tool for repurposing content.
- Understand the Links Palette to Edit Original, Update and Relink graphics.
- Use the Eyedropper tool to pick up formatting from one object to apply to another.
Color, Gradients, Effects & Transparency
- Create new Process, Spot & Pantone+ colors with the swatches panel. Create Tints.
- Create Gradients to be applied to fills, strokes and text.
- Use the Gradient Tool to adjust the angle of a linear gradient or the center point of a radial gradient.
- Apply Transparency, Drop Shadow and other effects to text or an object.
- Understand how to use transparency settings effectively, considerations for pre-press.
- Understand Paragraph and Character Styles and how they are beneficial for text formatting.
- Create and apply styles to paragraphs using menus and panels.
- Create character styles and apply to words or phrases within a paragraph.
- Change the attributes of a style.
- Redefine a style from document text.
- Understand Master Pages and how they are used.
- Modify the default master page with graphics, margins, columns and guides.
- Create automatic page numbering.
- Apply a master to a page or range of pages.
- Create and remove local overrides.
Export and Print
- Save an InDesign file (.indd) InDesign Template (.indt).
- Understand the benefit of saving a file as an InDesign Markup (.idml).
- Create Adobe PDF files: Export to PDF, set preferences and create PDF Export presets.
- Printing Options.
- Package a file for sending to an outside Printer.