Adobe InDesign CS6 Level 1:*Accelerated Pace* (New version CC will be taught 30 days after the release from Adobe)
This accelerated pace InDesign Level 1 class is for previous desktop publishing/page layout users who have knowledge of basic InDesign concepts. This class is taught at a faster pace than the Indesign Fundamentals to Intermediate Level 1. Many of the same concepts are covered, but this class offers a little more in depth information and a wider range of topics.
Length and Cost
$895: Includes free retakes for 8 months, Length of Workshop: 2 Days
Class Begins at 9am, ends at 4-4:30pm
InDesign CS6 and Bridge
- Use Bridge to find, view, rename, open and organize your files
- Use the metadata functions from Bridge to recognize fonts, colors and other data about your files before they are opened.
- Work with the new CS6 panels and interface. Save a workspace.
Document Creation & Modification
- Overview of toolbox, panels, page navigation and online help.
- Create a new document. Save the new document settings.
- Create a new document and save the new document settings. Learn the differences of the new “Intent” for Print, Web or Digital Publishing. Level 1 class focus will be for Print.
- Navigate around a document, zoom in and out, use the page grabber hand.
- Overview of the NEW Alternate Layouts in the Pages panel.
- Use the NEW Liquid Layout feature to easily resize a document.
- Set up page size, margins, columns, and bleeds for a new document
- Use the pages panel to add, move, and delete pages and more.
- View the page, using the NEW Split window.
- Use the control panel, info panel and shortcuts.
Objects, drawing & Selecting
- Draw and manipulate the 3 types of frames.
- Select multiple objects using the marquee select, select all and shift select.
- Draw paths and objects and work with strokes and fills.
- Use transform panel to scale, rotate and modify objects.
- Align and distribute objects. Use the new key object align command.
- Draw frames & change line color, style and width of strokes.
- Text frame options for text frames and other options for graphic frames.
Text: Place and Format
- Create text frames with single or multiple columns
- Place text using automatic, semi-automatic and manual text placement.
- Thread and unthread text flow from one text frame to another on the same page or another page.
- Character Formats: Apply fonts, change size, kerning & tracking etc.
- Paragraph Formats: Indent paragraphs, adjust the space before or after the paragraphs and add drop caps.
- Apply paragraph rules above and below a paragraph and change offset values.
- Paragraph vs. single –line composer, keep settings and justification
- Work with tabs to align a column of text or figures.
- Create a basic table. Convert text to a table. Basic formatting of text and cells.
- Find and change to replace text, spell check, dynamic spelling.
- Insert Special Characters, symbols, spaces, hyphens etc.
- Place photos and graphics such as TIFF, AI, PDF and PSD.
- Use fitting commands to change size of a graphic relative to its’ frame.
- Change the size of frames and graphics.
- Use the selection tools and the target selection to select the frame or the graphic and easily move graphics within a frame.
- Modify the corners of any graphic frame.
- Apply text wrap to control the way text wraps around a graphic. Change the outset, and the shape.
- Use the NEW Content Collector Tool for repurposing content
- Understand the Links Palette to Edit Original, Update and Relink graphics.
- Use the Eyedropper tool to pick up formatting from one object to apply to another.
Color, Gradients, Effects & Transparency
- Create new Process, Spot & Pantone+ colors with the swatches panel. Create Tints.
- Create Gradients to be applied to fills, strokes and text.
- Use the Gradient Tool to adjust the angle of a linear gradient or the center point of a radial gradient.
- Apply Transparency, Drop Shadow and other effects to text or an object.
- Understand how to use transparency settings effectively, considerations for pre-press.
- Understand Paragraph and Character Styles and how they are beneficial for text formatting.
- Create and apply styles to paragraphs using menus and panels.
- Create character styles and apply to words or phrases within a paragraph.
- Change the attributes of a style.
- Redefine a style from document text.
- Use Quick Apply to apply styles.
Understand Master Pages and how they are used.
Modify the default master page with graphics, margins, columns and guides.
Create automatic page numbering.
Apply a master to a page or range of pages.
Create and remove local overrides.
Export and Print
- Save an InDesign file (.indd) InDesign Template (.indt)
- Understand the benefit of saving a file as an InDesign Markup (.idml)
- Create Adobe PDF files: Export to PDF, set preferences and create PDF Export presets.
- Printing Options
- Package a file for sending to an outside Printer.