Length: 3 Days
Time: 9am - 4pm
Free Retakes: 8 Months
- Mar 2 - 4
- Apr 1 - 3
- May 4 - 6
- May 27 - 29
- Jun 22 - 24
- Jul 20 - 22
- Aug 17 - 19
- Oct 5 - 7
Adobe InDesign Level 1
Free retakes for 8 months. This intensive class teaches you to create print and digital publications with InDesign. Create projects from scratch and learn about placing photos, drawing and manipulating objects theading text frames, paragraph and character styles and more.
Solid computer skills, Mac or Windows.
About InDesign and Publishing
- Understand the relationship between InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and word processing programs.
- Work with the NEW User Interface of InDesign. Control the lightness of the UI.
- Set Preferences for an active document or the program defaults.
- Understand Adobe Creative Cloud and its’ features.
Document Creation & Modification
- Overview of toolbox, panels, page navigation and online help.
- Create a new document. Save the new document settings.
- Learn the differences of the new “Intent” for Print, Web or Digital Publishing. Level 1 class focus will be for Print.
- Set up page size, margins, columns, and bleeds for a new document, use the new Preview.
- Use the pages panel to add, move, and delete pages and more.
- View and zoom around the page, split the window.
- View in Normal or Preview modes, show or hide non printing items.
Objects, drawing & Selecting
- Draw, understand and manipulate the 3 types of frames.
- Select multiple objects using the marquee select, select all and shift select.
- Use transform panel to scale, rotate and modify objects.
- Select frames & change stroke color, style and width of strokes.
- Use Text Frame Options for text frames and other options for graphic frames.
Text: Place and Format
- Create Text frames with single or multiple columns.
- Place text using automatic, semi-automatic and manual text placement.
- Thread and unthread text flow from one text frame to another on the same page or another page.
- Character Formats: Apply fonts, use the new font favorites and search fonts features. Change text size, kerning & tracking etc.
- Use the control panel, and shortcuts for text formatting.
- Paragraph Formats: Alignment, indent paragraphs, adjust the space before or after the paragraphs.
- Find and change to replace text, spell check, dynamic spelling.
- Create a basic table. Convert text to a table. Basic formatting of text and cells.
- NEW Generate a QR code.
- Place photos and graphics such as TIFF, JPG, AI, PDF and PSD.
- Use fitting commands to change size of a graphic relative to its’ frame.
- Change the size of frames and graphics.
- Use the selection tools and the target selection to select the frame or the graphic and easily move graphics within a frame.
- Modify the corners of any graphic frame.
- Apply text wrap to control the way text wraps around a graphic. Change the outset, and the shape of the wrap.
- Understand the Links Palette to Edit Original, Update and Relink graphics.
- Use the Eyedropper tool to pick up formatting from one object to apply to another.
Color, Gradients, Effects & Transparency
- Create new Process, Spot & Pantone+ colors with the swatches panel. Create Tints.
- Create Gradients to be applied to fills, strokes and text.
- Use the Gradient Tool to adjust the angle of a linear gradient or the center point of a radial gradient.
- Apply Transparency to objects.
- Apply Drop Shadow to text or an object.
- Understand how to use transparency settings effectively, considerations for pre-press.
- Understand Paragraph and Character Styles and how they are beneficial for text formatting.
- Create and apply styles to paragraphs using menus and panels.
- Create character styles and apply to words or phrases within a paragraph.
- Change the attributes of a style.
- Redefine a style from document text.
- Understand Master Pages and how they are used.
- Modify the default master page with graphics, margins, columns and guides.
- Create automatic page numbering.
- Apply a master to a page or range of pages, create and remove local overrides.
Export and Print
- Save an InDesign file (.indd).
- Understand the benefit of saving a file as an InDesign Markup (.idml).
- Create Adobe PDF files: Export to PDF.
- Package a file for sending to an outside Printer